Design Thinking is a human-centered approach to innovation developed at Stanford University. It involves groups of people immersing themselves in solving a problem that matters by:
– empathising with the needs of stakeholders,
– reframing the problem by developing a user point of view that will inform the solutions,
– ideating by stepping beyond the obvious solutions and exploring fresh and innovative ideas,
– prototyping to give ideas a physical form, learn and develop more empathy, and finally
– testing, in order to receive feedback from stakeholders and refine the ideas.
It is a high-energy, engaging approach that can be applicable to the development of new product/service ideas, the resolution of organizational problems, the development of processes, leadership and strategy.